Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Book Review: Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts Amigurumi

Takamori Tomoko, Chronicle Books
I've had Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts Amigurumi sitting around for a while. I think it was a present. Then again, I may have impulse bought it. If so it's one of my better impulse buys. It's written by Tomoko Takamori, a researcher of knitting and crochet who started her career in amigurami creation in 1993.

There are several cute little amigurami creatures to make including teddy bears, sheep, tigers, kittens and jackrabbits. I decided to have a go with the little teddy pattern.


The pattern was really easy to use. The author provides a page describing the symbols and stitches used in the book which was great. I'm rubbish at following printed instructions and even I managed to follow these. I even referred back to this book whilst following someone else's pattern. The only criticism I have is that how to start crocheting was not made clear. I had to look that up somewhere else. 

Here is the teddy I made:


He needs a ribbon or something because fool that I am I stitched his head on with thread instead of the wool. He looks a little like he has terrible scarring around his neck. I think with finer wool this would look even cuter. I only have chunky cheap wool though. I will buy better wool - one day when I've finished the cheap stuff.

All in all a very excellent book. I recommend it whole-heartedly! I haven't put it away yet because I want to try more patterns from it. That's the sign of a good craft book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...